with susanne grant
1. Hypnobirthing is not something to ‘believe in’ or 'not believe in’ but of course you are free to take it or leave it. Hypnobirthing is a way to learn to relax and calm your mind and body during labour and birth. And it works...there's nothing to 'believe' or 'not believe'.
Watch this video to see how birth can be and should be. If you expect birth to be painful and like those you see on ‘One Born Every Minute’ then it will be. But if you know it doesn’t have to be like this, then you are already half way there to achieving a calm positive birth. Put simply, you get what you expect.
2. Hypnobirthing teachers won’t hypnotise you. Hypnosis is a natural state that we all go in and out of frequently during the day but most notably when we are going to sleep and waking up. All we do is teach you how to switch off and relax when you most need to. Nobody will make you do anything or believe anything that you don't want to.
3. Hypnobirthing is not a trick or a fad - we help women birth exactly how they were designed to. Unfortunately, the modern media and society have influenced us in such a way that we have forgotten how to use our instincts and instead we are programmed to believe that birth is something to be afraid of!
4. Hypnobirthing puts mum and baby at the centre so that you feel in complete control. Birth partners will learn alongside you so that he or she can take care of the environment during the labour. You can then switch off, letting your body and hormones do their job – just how nature intended.
5. Hypnobirthing isn’t all about pain free and natural births. Although this would be wonderful and many hypnobirthing mammas do achieve this, it’s not something we can absolutely guarantee. We teach you how to manage the new sensations you may feel during labour but the most important thing we teach you is to stay calm and relaxed. We also want you to look back on your birth as the most positive, beautiful and empowering experience ever.